01 02 03 Just Run Jim: The Ghost and a Race 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Ghost and a Race

34
I really enjoy my relationship with Brooks and being one of their Fanatics.  According to Merriam-Webster the definition is as follows:  marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion.   Excessive enthusiasm...check.   Intense devotion...check.   Uncritical devotion is the part that does not apply to me.   If something does not work for me or would hinder my running in any way I would not keep purchasing it.   So as Fed Ex delivered this care package to my door the other day, I was convinced it would lead me to another successful marathon season.
Brooks Ghost 7
The Ghost 6 was Runner's World Editor's Choice winner.  The Ghost 7 is a perfect neutral shoe for me.  Enough support to accompany my higher miles and the ability to respond to faster session.  The main difference between the Ghost 6 and 7?  It is smoother and lighter. The Ghost 7 weighs in at 10.4 ounces (0.3 less than the Ghost 6).  Bigger lugs in the forefoot make the Ghost feel more responsive.

The Elmhurst 4 on the 4th takes place tomorrow and I'll be running it for the seventh consecutive year.   As usual, I needed to find a way to fit this into my marathon training.  I didn't need to do much as I had a 5 mile recovery today and am scheduled for 12 tomorrow.   So I simply switched the 4 mile tempo that I was supposed to do on Monday to Friday and race it instead.   Between warm-up and cool down, I'll probably run another 6 miles later in the day.   My goal tomorrow is simple.   Run faster than 7 minute pace and take down my PR of 28:00 flat.  I have a tendency to run the first half mile too fast so we'll see if I can control it.  I've also underperformed at this race.   Not sure if it has been fatigue from high miles, running the underpass hill twice in the race or hot weather.  The weather is fully cooperating this year and my recent 5k all show it shouldn't be a problem.   McMillan's calculator says it should not be problem based on my 5k time.


Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38