01 02 03 Just Run Jim: Be Grateful for the Run 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Be Grateful for the Run

34
Five and half weeks since my injury.  I'm out of the gym. What kind of shape does one stay in without running for 4 weeks (biking and elliptical instead) after averaging over 50m for the previous 2 weeks? All of this time I could not push off with my right foot without pain or altering my stride.  Running on the roads every day again and no run has been longer than six miles.

 I vowed to start the Chicago marathon on Sunday. But I decided I'll only run halfway.   My PF tear has mostly healed but I still feel "something" there when I run. Not pain.   Friday was the first time in 6 weeks it felt normal.   The perfect weather forecast was making me jealous of others.     Will I restrain myself if the foot is feeling good?

The weather was clear and cold.  Just a light breeze and I declared it epic weather for a fast race.  I got dropped off on Michigan Avenue and headed for the charity village.   Little did I know there were three charity sections and it wasn't in the first two I found.  I met a younger girl who was running her first marathon for PAWS just as lost as I was.  We found our charity in the last section and I wished her good luck.   Just enough time for a team photo and we headed to the corrals an hour before the start.

 
It was going to be a weird day for me.   I didn't need to worry too much about pacing.  Only stay healthy.  Too much fitness was lost.   I decided to bring my cell phone alone and capture pictures of the day.   Drink it all in and be grateful I could run.  Such a simple thing but in the view of a runner, it is everything!

At the start with 40,000 of my closest friends


The elites were announced and we were off.   I took my satisfaction that I was able to run from the B corral which was the top 4500 qualifiers excluding the elites and elite development runners.   I was happy to raise money for a great charity.  The Diabetes Action Team raised over $90,000 for the marathon.  I enjoyed the crowds and the fact that I could run pain free.   And high fived as many people who were looking for one.   I took it in and enjoyed every step.

 
 
 
 
I ran every step to my race end. No stopping, no injury and pain free.  I was grateful just to be out there. There will be many more races to run. Run happy.
 


Labels: ,

35 36 37 38