01 02 03 Just Run Jim: Marathon Improvement in Three Days 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Marathon Improvement in Three Days

34

What's that you say? Is this a radical new type of training?   No more pounding out long runs for 18 weeks?
For the low, low price of $49.99 I can give you the answer if you call today and mention my blog.

Now that I have your attention and unfortunately not your hard earned money, I can tell you I have a new PR just a mere three days after running the Green Bay marathon.  No, I did not find an oddly scheduled Wednesday marathon.   The times have officially been revised as I mentioned in my last post.  The course was long by 800 feet due to a mismarked course.   My new PR is 3:35:55.

As Ilana politely pointed out, I was wrong in my calculations.  My math skills blow.   In my defense, however, I did not double check my work.  Old Doc Watson, my high school honors math teacher, would have been disappointed.   I should point out that is a lot easier to do math when the numbering system is based on 10 and not 60.  I did not grow up using the Babylonian/Sumerian math books.  Besides, they were probably freaking heavy.

The new PR is not an insignificant number.   I now qualify for Corral B at the Chicago Marathon by a mere four seconds.  This means I will have less traffic at the start and less bodies to hurdle when we approach Mt. Roosevelt in the final stretch. 

My quadriceps are no longer killing me as I walk down stairs since Sunday.   I am happy to report no other aches or pains.   I did my first recovery run today of four miles.   It did not hurt but the quads were having none of the speed I asked them to do.   It is supposed to be a recovery run and not breaking a nine minute mile today was just fine.

I'm off to look at potential shorter races.  Let's see if I can use all that training in a painful 5K.

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38