01 02 03 Just Run Jim: I'm not out of shape, the weatherman is 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

I'm not out of shape, the weatherman is

34
There is a good reason why there are no hot weather marathons. I know there are certain events such as Badwater that are run in July and demand runners to run in extreme conditions. Those runners prepare and train for those conditions. I am not one of those runners. Not yet anyways. But the return of cooler temps has had a huge impact on my running this week.

On Sunday, I ran 14 miles. When I left the house it was 75 degrees and 88% humidity. The first nine miles were at about an 8:50 easy pace and weren't a problem. But then I had to stop once or twice as I was exhausted. I pride myself on not stopping. I began to wonder about my fitness. Then a violent thunderstorm rolled through on Mile 11 and I was forced to get out of the way of the lightning under a picnic shelter. Even after a short rest and stretch before continuing I still had to stop.

Then Tuesday morning the heat and humidity broke. My Chicago Marathon training hits 42 miles this week. 8 miles at an 8:33 pace and I felt like I could have run another 8. Wednesday was 5.2 miles at an 8:22 pace. Finally this morning I busted out 9.9 miles at an 8:17 pace. I didn't stop once. Umm unless it was for traffic. Life isn't perfect you know. I guess I am not in awful shape after all. So to all of you runners out there running in insane temps or searing heat. Cheer up cooler temps are on the way. It may not come until fall for some of you but it's coming.

In other news, I got together with the Chicago Brooks ID group for a meet and greet and run last Saturday. It was held with the Lake Forest/Lake Bluff running club. Is it wrong to like another running club more than the one you're in? They had a huge turnout of about 30 runners for a 6.2 mile training run. And that was the regular membership. Here's the proof. I'm way in the back and only my hand and watchband is visible. I made the cut on Photo 20 of the slide show. Add the Brooks members and it looked like a small 10K race winding through the streets. I met some really cool people. My thanks to Shelley and Eric for helping coordinate it and Steve D and Kira from Brooks. I'm still debating if I should join this club. Problem is that it isn't exactly close to home. I'll be debating it over the weekend.

I have a 4 mile race on Saturday. It's supposed to be 4miles on the fourth. But they moved the race to the third this year so the 4 mile distance doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I have no idea what kind of time to expect. The weeks runs have been encouraging. My PR from last year was 29:36. I'm hoping to be in that ball park.

Labels: , , ,

35 36 37 38